Tuesday 30 August 2011

Studio Visit Bolser Leeds

Bolser started off as a marketing agency near Leeds airport. It is a family run business. I popped in for a studio visit where we talked about several subjects that were essential for me to understand which path I want to take after my degree. It was a Senior designer, Ryan who talked to me about what Bolser produce.

The whole purpose of the visit was to understand a designers part when working in a studio producing design for new formats. This is something I am interested in but didn't know too much about. I jotted down notes from the chat so the following will be bullet points of what I learnt whilst there.

- The program used to create apps for Andriod and Iphone formats is Appcelerator.
- Each format needs its own design and coding, if its something simple the Andriod and iphone can be shared.
- Bolser mainly produce for Nokia formats

Design Process for creating an app
- Brief, all designers meet and brainstorm ideas
- The coding team create API of what the app needs to do
- User Flow chart - Site map (designer)
- Wire framing- omnigraffle, Program used
- User Interface sits on top of programming
- Preset Templates from smashing magazine for different formats
- User exceptance testing. Two people test the app in the studio and tick off the API, and note any problems before sending the app off.

The above was really useful, I also was given a rough idea of each stage of the design process. The app was for O2 a rewards scheme but for a new Nokia. It seems the designers do get more time than expected to produce the visuals.

We then looked at my PDF and he seemed really happy with the work I had produce, he directed me to the smashingmagazine.com for free UI & Website presets which will be really useful for my third year.

We then Spoke about new technologies such as NFC, which is a new tagging system which is expected to become popular in the next year or two, I have started to research into NFC and would like to use this when possible in my third year. DC Blog

Then finally I asked if you was looking to employ a designer for Bolser What would you expect and like to see.
- A lot of Visuals
- Creative Ideas
- And if it was to be built would the app work.

Ryan then asked if I had sent emails to other agencies and I explained that I had but it was hard to get replies, Bolser is a family run agency and are always happy to talk to young creatives, Ryan also suggested to email madebypi and the Engine Room.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks so much for this. This is awesome post I ever seen on internet. This is rare to find that’swhy difficult to understand. Anyway, you are definitely someone that has something to say that people need to hear. Keep up the good work. Keep on inspiring the people.
    For more information regards:
    Mobile Application Development London

    ReplyDelete