Tuesday 8 November 2011

Feedback from Linneys Blog - Placement

I’m Paul Brandreth a third year student currently studying BA Graphic Design at Leeds College of Art. As part of my October half-term I took the opportunity to gain a weeks work placement at Linney Design, Mansfield. This was my first placement so I wasn’t too sure what to expect but had an idea of what I wanted to gain from the week. The week started off with a briefing for Molson Coors to encourage more women to drink beer.

The brief was research driven and also progressed at a fast pace. What I really liked at Linney Design was to be surrounded in an environment of a range of specialized skilled professionals, whether it was multimedia staff or copywriters, the range of people was a great help when discussing my work and gaining of ideas. I also worked with a team of designers for a Hasbro brief with few restrictions which made the creative aspect to answering the brief fun and enjoyable. Just from listening to the designers I learnt a lot from the way they think and consider how and why the product would work. The week was busy and time flew fast. There are many positives I will take away with me and also several ideas and processes I have noticed and learnt that I can improve to narrow the gap between my design practice and the design industry.


No tags


5 Comments for Paul Brandreth’s work experience blog

SimonDunn - October 28, 2011 at 5:35 pm

Congratulations on a very good week Paul, we really enjoyed having you in the studio and we were very impressed with your ideas, graphic ability and work ethic. We hope to see you back soon.


JL - October 29, 2011 at 3:29 pm

A breath of fresh air Paul, it was great to have you around. You can’t teach passion and desire, I’m sure you are going to do well in your career. Stay in touch.


Luke Tonge - October 31, 2011 at 9:55 am

Great to see this on the blog!


JK - November 1, 2011 at 9:20 am

Agree with the guys here, a great result from your week with us Paul. You showed some great control in your design work and used initial stimulus to drive influence into your work without it ultimately appearing hackneyed. Well done and see you soon Paul.


Paul Brandreth - November 3, 2011 at 11:15 am

Thank-you again for the opportunity of the work placement and the comments too. The week flew past and I gained a lot from the time scale of the briefs to the way different designers approach briefs. The week helped me inform myself what I need to achieve within my own design practice to improve to industry standard.

Thank-you

Paul Brandreth

No comments:

Post a Comment